Eminem aka Marshall Bruce Mathers III doesn’t rhyme words, he makes words rhyme. He is undoubtedly the best rapper world has ever witnessed. He had a very turbulent childhood. His father abandoned his family when he was just 6 months old. His mom (Debbie Mathers) raised him who was never been able to hold down a job for more than couple of months at a time. So, they have to keep moving every now and then between Missouri and Detroit, Michigan. He had to switch his schools like two to three times a year which was the worst part of his childhood. This itinerant life made a huge impact on his personality. Since he was white he used to get beat up in the bathroom, beat up in the hallways, daily harassed and shoved in the lockers by a kid named Angelo Bailey. He failed thrice in 9th grade.
His Uncle Ronnie Polkingham introduced him to the Rap Music who committed suicide in 1991. Eminem has a tattoo with his name on his left arm. He used Rap music to express his anger, rage, emotions and that is what made Marshall Mathers, Eminem. He released his first album in 1996 named ‘Infinite’ and only sold 1000 copies. After this failure, he tried to attempt a suicide but failed. But he didn’t give up.
Dr. Dre (one of the best music producer) listened to his album Infinite and gave him a call and to be honest Dr. Dre saved his life, as Eminem said in a song “I need a doctor”, – “It was You, who believed in me when everyone was tellin’ you don’t sign me, everyone at the fu*kin’ label, let’s tell the truth.” In 1999, Eminem was signed to Aftermath records and released “The Slim Shady LP” which depicts his alter ego Slim Shady. 15 million copies were sold, the album went multi-platinum and the name “Slim Shady” was buzzing around the whole world. And this was just the first head start of his success.
Next year, In 2000, he released one more album “Marshall Mathers LP” which is the fastest selling album in the Rap history. He had a group named D12 (Dirty Dozen) which comprises 6 rappers – Proof, Bizzare, Kuniva, Swifty McVay, Mr. Porter. As soon as his life was back on the track a tragic incident happened in 2006. His best friend, Rapper Proof was shot dead on 11 April 2006. This had the worst impact not only on Eminem but the whole D12 group. On his death, Eminem said “I want people to remember the way he lived, not his death. He can never ever be replaced. He was and always will be my Best Friend.” But even this didn’t stop him to Rap.
He kept on playing his music. In 2009, he released grammy winning album Recovery. First single “Not Afraid”, debuted number one on the Billboard Top 100 and “Love the way you lie” stayed on top for straight seven weeks. His last album was “Marshall Mathers LP2” and he recently tweeted he is working on a new album. So this is it. This is how he made from Trailer park to mansion. If he can do it then even you can. Here are some more interesting facts about Eminem which will certainly motivate you to pick yourself up and work on your goals.
1. The only book he has read in full is LL Cool J’s “I make my own rules.”
2. When Eminem wanted to get clean he called Elton John, who helped for 18 months to kick his addiction to drugs.
3. Eminem is in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most successive U.S. #1 Albums by a Solo Artist.
4. It took Eminem 30 seconds to write the hook for “Just lose it”.
5. Eminem refused to sing at Oscars because they wanted him to sing the clean version of “Lose Yourself”.
6. Eminem used to study dictionary every night so that he could expand on his lyrics.
7. He has previously taken up to 60 Valium and 30 Vicodin pills per day.
8. Eminem did all three verses of “Lose Yourself” in one take.
9. As a Kid, he dreamed of becoming a comic book artist.
10. He starred in a movie “8 Mile” and won an Oscar for Best Original Song- Lose Yourself. First Rap song to do so.
11. His mom tried to sue him for $10 Million for defaming her in songs. She got $25000.
12. Eminem’s mother almost died giving birth to him – The labor took 73 hours.
13. Eminem came up with his alter ego Slim Shady in a toilet.
14. A lot of Eminem’s songs are owned by Michael Jackson.
15. Eminem is a high school drop out. He had failed 3 times in 9th grade.
16. He clocked his first arrest at age 20, apprehended for shooting a cop car with a paintball gun from withing a car.
17. Eminem’s childhood name was Mickey as in Mickey Mouse because of his big ears.
18. He was shot while walking to Kim’s (Ex-wife) house as a teenager.
19. Eminem lied to his baby’s momma, Kim, and said they were going to Chuck E. Cheese in order to record Hailie’s (his daughter) part for the song “97 Bonnie & Clyde”.
20. He doesn’t know how to use a computer.