Welcome to ScrollRoom!
You’ll find a vibrant and growing community of smart, enthusiastic people at ScrollRoom. Our goal is to foster conversations that are helpful, informative, and fun. We very much would like you to help us do just that, so here are some guidelines for how to participate.
The short version
- We’re so glad you’re here! We hope you will help create great conversations in our community.
- Don’t be a jerk, call people jerks, or react to jerks. We’ll remove bad stuff when we see it.
- Respect and help the moderators. It’s a small team of dedicated, caring humans working hard to make things better.
Rules of the road
Here are things that will get your comment removed and quite possibly get you banned. Note that this is not a comprehensive list. Our moderators reserve the right to remove anything we deem inappropriate.
- Spam: Zero tolerance, of course! If it comes from a human or a robot, spam will be deleted. This includes self-promotion. Generally speaking, promoting your projects here will be treated like any other spam.
- Personal attacks: Don’t attack or insult another user. It’s not helpful and it doesn’t make ScrollRoom a friendly place. This includes calling other members trolls.
- Illegal activities: Posting links to illegal downloads, ways to steal service, and other nefarious activity is not OK here.
- NSFW material: Nope, not allowed. Even images or links that could be considered borderline are not acceptable. A good rule of thumb is that anything beyond PG-13 will get you in trouble, but we reserve the right to remove any post we deem offensive. This goes for porngraphic material, vile language, gore and generally gross stuff.
- Racism, sexism, and other discrimination: Attacking entire classes of people is just like attacking a single person: we’ll ban you for it.
- Trolling: “Trolling” is a big, messy term, but we know what trolls are and we won’t tolerate it. If you’re abusing the good conversations here at ScrollRoom, we will take your comments and posts down. This includes taking a thread off-topic, by the way.
- Complaining about coverage: We cover a wide array of topics, not all of which are easy, comfortable, or reflective of your personal views. This applies doubly to review scores. While we’re not against discussions of our coverage, plainly stated accusations of bias are usually an indication that you’re not trying to be a productive member of the community.
Above all, our team of moderators works to keep conversation here friendly, engaging, helpful, and productive. If we feel a comment or forum post is harming that endeavor, we’ll take action.
See any of the above? You can help us out by flagging (more on that below). Any comments that are a reply to spammy / inappropriate / trolling comments will also be deleted with the original comment, so don’t reply — just bring it to our notice!
- Isn’t this censorship? Well, no and yes. We’re trying to foster great conversation and we will remove comments that harm that endeavor. You’re free to say whatever you like other places, but not here. At ScrollRoom we have a different standard, working very hard to keep the conversation informative and fun. The bottom line is that the editors and moderators have the final say on whether it fits within our community guidelines.
- Questions about moderation: We’re happy to have a discussion with you about it — in private. We’ve found from long and hard experience that public complaints about moderation just leads to people trying to “game” the system. If you have a question about moderation, hit us up on our contact form and we’ll have a talk.
- Helping out our moderators: Moderators work very, very hard with your best interests at heart. Please help them out by flagging inappropriate comments and take heed when they ask you to change your behavior. Note that most of our moderators are volunteers freely dedicating their time to help make things better. They don’t speak for the site, but still deserve your gratitude.
How to Post/Comment
There are few ways to interact on ScrollRoom. Here’s the basics, but there’s much more information down below.
- Post a comment: Comments are a lovely way to talk about the stories and reviews you find on ScrollRoom. They can also be a lot to keep up with, so we have some tools to make it all easier. You can preview your comment before you post it. If you realize you’ve made a typo, you can correct your comment at any point of time.
- Get in touch: Have a news tip? Want to contact the moderators? See a bug? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reply: Use this to reply to that specific comment. Your reply will be threaded to that comment.
- Upvote: We love great comments, we know you do too. Click the “Like” link to upvote a comment and see it get more love and affection from the site.
- Flag: This is the link you use to report a post to the moderators. Use it on spam, on personal attacks, or on racist or sexist language. Do not use it to report stuff you disagree with or to hassle users. Our moderators work really hard, please help them help you!
It’s important to know that comments are threaded and if the top comment in a thread is a problem, we may delete it, and that will delete all the replies to it. So if there’s an inappropriate comment and you reply to it with something eloquent and heartfelt, there’s a very good chance that your highly intelligent and meaningful comment will nonetheless be lost.